Wednesday, January 9, 2019

My Ankle Hardware Removal

Screws are out!
Leaving hospital in a
walking bootie!
Hardware Removal

If you are considering getting your hardware removed but worried about the recovery time, (if yours is anything similar to mine), the recovery is 100x better than getting the hardware in. I was shocked. I was walking an hour later. 

March 2, 2018: 2nd surgery - removal of hardware (2 screws)

I could not believe how easy the recovery was on the 2nd surgery. I was walking an hour later. I walked into Walgreens to pick up pain med prescription. Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't up on my ankle doing cartwheels like nothing had happened but the fact that I could actually walk an hour after surgery amazed me. After Walgreens, I went straight home to rest, ice, compress and elevate.

Leaving the hospital in a walking bootie (it's like an small black sandal, see photo) vs. being on crutches with a cast is a huge difference! My surgeon does his surgeries on Fridays, that way people can have hardware removal done, rest over weekend and some even return to work on Monday.

The number one question is: Is it worth it?

Everybody is different but for the most part, I hear more positives. I'm guessing 90% of the people I've talked to and blogs I've read say it feels better. They don't react enthusiastically saying "it was life changing", but overall, there is small changes you can feel.

The bone grows in where the screw used to be.
I felt a little more flexible, I think the swelling went down a little. And I did not feel so much swelling with the weather.

I stayed on the couch with ankle up and rested for 3-4 days solid.

I don't know if the recovery is as easy if you have a plate in, I'm guessing it might be a longer recovery.


One thing that was interesting to see at a post-op appointment is that the bone grows back where the screw was. It grows back and fills in that hollow spot where the screw was. The human body amazes me.

 One thing to remember, every injury is different which means every recovery is different. Your recovery might be easier, it may be harder.




2nd Surgery - Hardware Removal







SaraHHouse365 | Breaking Ankle - what I learned.
SaraHHouse365 | My Ankle Break Story

SaraHHouse365 | Give it a rest, would ya?